Friday, May 25, 2007

Pirates of the Caribbean:
At World's End
After the tremendous effort made on Dead Man's Chest I was looking forward to seeing the final chapter of the Pirates saga. Only this wasn't what I was expecting. If Dead man's Chest is Pirates' 'Empire Strikes Back', At World's End is definitely 'The Phantom Menace.' of the saga. The only thing is I kinda like Phantom Menace. I didn't like At World's End.
WHAT A PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!!!
Now I know you saying, Rob is the guy that praised Spider-Man 3, which is still a far better movie than At World's End by the way, why should I trust him. You probably shouldn't, but I love movies more than Roger Ebert himself, but I love characters more. Granted Jack Sparrow is the Luke Skywalker of this generation, I agree with that, but a character is only good as his/her character arc. I thought Sparrow's would come to a successful end, but man was I wrong. Sparrow ends the saga the same way he entered, a selfish pirate. I thought that was great, for an opening, but to really care for a character they gotta be surprising and go through an evolution, Sparrow stays relatively the same since Pirates 1. But surprisingly Sparrow is still the best part of this film, shows how little the film has to offer.
Unless your fluent in 18th century English, or pirate scuffle, you'll get lost in the dialogue, and ofter lose your place. And its not like the writer's or directors help you out, no they leave you behind to hopefully catch up and find your way. The scenes are often long an boring, leaving me anyhow looking at my watch. Serioulsy, that's not a joke.
The acting was cheese except for Johnny Depp and Geffory Rush. They were the best parts of the film, to bad they had such a drab script to carry. Orlando Bloom was so tacked on and flat as always, and Kira Knightley was just ok, but still hot...so shes ok in my books. LOL. The Pirate Lord's were kinda boring, because they didn't really do much. And would it hurt ILM to make on at least a cool creature character? Come on.
The effects were solid and the action scenes were ok, not at all as fun as Dead Man's Chest. Davey Jones had a cool little storyline with the weird Voodoo chick that could have been cool if it only was better fleshed out. I won't spoil it so I'll stop there, but technically he was done very well, again.
The story had a weird vibe too it. It was much darker and violent than the past two. Now Dead Man's Chest was dark to, but it was fun also. This time around I didn't really feel it.
overall a big letdown, but it will still make zillions of dollars, hopefully won't beat Spider-Man 3's record setting opening on account that it is more deserving than this trash.
2 out of 5
And that's mostly because of Johnny Depp and ILM.

No comments: